On the Autoroute Blanche (A40) and in the Mont Blanc Tunnel, we do everything possible to ensure quick and safe towing.
On the Autoroute Blanche (A40): fast and supervised towing
Towing is always performed by an authorized ATMB tow truck.
The costs for towing are set by a decree published in the Official Journal.
This is €123.56 on Mondays through Fridays between 8 am and 6 pm and €185.34 for weekends and holidays, and between 6 pm and 8 am.
The tow truck should come within 30 minutes. ATMB does everything it can to make sure it responds within that timeline.
If traveling alone with one or more children, a patroller will remain with you, when possible, until the tow truck arrives.
What do I do if my car breaks down on the motorway?
If you cannot get to a parking area:
- Park in the emergency lane
- Turn on warning lights (no triangles on the motorway!)
- Put yellow vests on yourself and your passengers
- Do not stay in the car or nearby. Move to the right and stay behind the guardrail.
- Call for help:
- Using the SOS Motorway app.
- Using the nearest orange station (there is a station every 2 km)
- The nearest orange station will be indicated by an arrow painted on the ground of the emergency lane every 10 to 20 m.
The SOS Motorway App: a click away
This free application (downloadable from the Apple Store and Google Play) is a way to connect with emergency services. When necessary, it puts you in touch with the nearest safety post so you can communicate with them.
The operator will then determine your precise location and determine the most appropriate action with you depending on your situation (breakdown, illness, etc.) and send you either an ATMB patroller or breakdown service.
In the Mont Blanc Tunnel: savety first !
If your car breaks down or you get a flat tyre, call the Tunnel teams by using the call boxes located every 100 meters. They will make the necessary arrangements for you and your vehicle.
There is no cost for broken down vehicles in the Mont Blanc Tunnel, except in cases of running out of petrol. In this case, the cost is 300 euros for cars and 1,500 euros for heavy weight vehicles.
What do I do if I have a mechanical problem?
- Turn on the hazard lights.
- Try to get to the exit, but only if you can see it from where you are Otherwise, get into an emergency stop area as soon as you can.
- Have passengers exit the vehicle, and ask for help from an emergency call terminal. Your location will be automatically determined from the call.
- While waiting for the Tunnel teams, stay with your passengers in the emergency stop area.
Remember: In the Tunnel, you should only stop when absolutely necessary (breakdowns, illnesses, warning lights on). Get your vehicle as far right as possible using the emergency stop areas.
Note: the SOS Motorway App does not work in the Mont Blanc Tunnel.